Saturday, May 30, 2009

Councilman Steven Kula May 30, 2009 Letter to Prattsburgh Supervisor McConnell

Steven R. Kula
11470 Davis Road
Prattsburgh, NY 14873
(607)522-3377
steve.kula@yahoo.com

May 30, 2009

J. Harold McConnell
Supervisor
Town of Prattsburgh
19 North Main Street
Prattsburgh, NY 14873

Dear Supervisor,

At our regular Town of Prattsburgh board meeting, held on April 21st, our board voted unanimously to hold a special town board meeting on May 21st at The Prattsburgh Central School. The purpose of this meeting was for Ecogen to make a presentation to the board and the public, and to afford both the opportunity to ask questions of Ecogen regarding their proposed project in our town.

At our regular Town of Prattsburgh board meeting, held on May 19th, citizens and board members were asked to hold their questions and comments until the special meeting, when both Ecogen and the board would be prepared to facilitate.

I arrived at our meeting and was told by an Ecogen attorney that they were having a meeting, but I was welcome to stay and listen. The audience was then informed that we would not have the opportunity to make comments or have any discussion with the developer.

I am disgusted with your conduct as a public official. We are elected to represent the citizens of this town, and are obligated to make the best, most informed decisions possible on their behalf. I have found that anyone that has a defensible position does not fear an honest, open debate. The issues pertaining to the proposed development are not black and white, and it is unfortunate that you desire to hide the truth from the public.

I understand that I am in a minority position on our town board. Your majority was elected by the citizens of this town, and you have the right to feel, and vote, as you do. However, as an elected official, I too have rights. By law, you must schedule a special board meeting within 10 days of written request of two board members. I am requesting that you call a special meeting, to be held in a venue large enough to accommodate the expected crowd, for the express purpose of discussing the many issues surrounding this project, as well as the misconduct of our public officials. I am of the hope that councilman Shick will make the second request.

I also request that you invite Ecogen representatives to this meeting, in the hope that they will change course and answer some of the concerns of our citizens.
I am unavailable on June 2nd, 4th, and 5th. I am available on any other days at any time. As I understand that the other board members also have other obligations, I will not hold you to the 10 day limit imposed by the law. I believe that a meeting scheduled prior to June 20th would be reasonable.

Sincerely,

Steven R. Kula
Town Councilman
Town of Prattsburgh

Cc: Prattsburgh Town Clerk, Chuck Shick, John Leyden, Eric Massa, NYS Office of the Attorney General, local media

No comments: